We offer several types of locally made Australian
pure chemical free natural LUMP CHARCOALS for Home & Restaurants. Use in
Weber, Kamado Joe, Primo, Bullet, Offset Smoker, BBQ Spit Rotisseries, Skewers.
For LownSlow or hot Grilling.
GST is added to online Shopping Cart.
To box a large 20kg bag up and send it by Courier to Metro postcodes costs $25ea. Non Metro postcodes may cost extra or be too expensive to ship to. We can usually tuck up to 6kgs of extra Products into the cartons to combine shipping and will REFUND you the extra postage charged for them. A Red Gum carton is full and only has room for another 1kg or so.
You have now found where you can buy Pure Charcoal comprised 100% from cooked wood, no additives. Most Briquettes including Kingsford, contain various additives that can taint meats if not burned off, see Info Links: Amazing Ribs & WIKIPEDIA:- "Kingsford Charcoal is made from charred softwoods such as pine and spruce which is then mixed with ground coal and other ingredients"
CASH PICKUP is available from us at 58 Frankston Gardens Dr. Carrum Downs Mon-Fri 8-5 Sat 8-4.
Our Bulk cash pickup prices from the Carrum Downs
RED GUM 20kg $40 for 1-9. $35 10+ bags. $30 for 40.
GIDGEE 20kg $40ea. $35 for 40.
MALLEE ROOT 20kg $40ea
IRONBARK 20kg $45 for 1-9 $40 10+ bags.
20kg MURRUMBIDGEE RIVER RED GUM $40ea. - best for BBQ Spits & Rotisseries and any open BBQ's, as no ash.
- All Round great charcoal, best for Spits and Rotisseries and any open Grilling as no ash to blow on meat, but needs air vents min half open. Not good for long LownSlow cook as cutting off air to slow the burn will make it go out, but that is also a feature as you can put it out and reuse it as it just shrinks and can be reused and lit easily. RED GUM is also called Aussie HICKORY as similar flavour, imagine of you could buy HICKORY charcoal!
If you have a Smartfire type fan heat controller, this coal will burn with minimal vents and is the best coal for a fan controller as there is no ash to blow around.
20kg GIDGEE $40 LownSlow Qld Charcoa with fine talc ash - best for Offset Smokers.
- The original LownSlow Qld coal, is hot, can reach 700f and can go long period with vents 90% closed but leaves fine talc ash that can choke the pile over a long overnight cook. Mix it with Red Gum to lessen ash and keep Red Gum going overnight. GIDGEE is usually the best for an Offset, it has larger pieces and creates fine talc ash that will stay in the fire box away from meats.
20kg MALLEE ROOT $40 - Hot
standard all-round charcoal. Sparks when lit and has some ash that may blow on spits.
- Good for LownSlow and Spits. Sparks entertainingly at first when starting with our FIRE ROD Heat Gun as the fine red Mallee sand is absorbed into the wood, and explodes. Best to light with a Butane Blow Torch or Charcoal Chimney.
20kg IRONBARK $45 - Best LownSlow Charcoal with some ash.
- Great LownSlow hot coal with 20% of the ash mess that Gidgee makes. Very HOT coal, use half the amount you normally use ie. 1 bag IRONBARK = 2 bags of most charcoals! Got the Kamado to 660F in 25 mins with vents fully open.
- Mix it with Red Gum to temper the heat of Ironbark coal and to keep flavoursome Red Gum going overnight.
FOR A 10 HR COOK IN A LARGE OFFSET: make a tall mound of GIDGEE and start the base with our Fire Rod electric charcoal starter, then place a Smoker Log on each side close to the coals to smolder for several hours, replace once or twice through the cook. Once the coal is hot, restrict the air to slow down the burn for a long LownSlow session. Move Logs away if catching fire. Use the smaller IRONBARK pieces for a Weber, Kamado, Primo.
An Apple Log, and an Ironbark or Red Gum Log is
good for Brisket and Chicken. An Apple and a Cherry Log, or just 2 Cherry Logs
is great for Pork, Sausages, sweet Chicken, Seafood.
Our air dried Apple Wood adds moisture to meats. Red Gum Wood on it's own dries beef and can oversmoke meats on a long cook.
CASH PICKUP DEAL: 1 BAG each of IRONBARK & RED GUM CHARCOAL FOR $80. Combine 2 great Char grill flavours by mixing them together and stabilize the excessive heat of IRONBARK coal, and to keep Red Gum going LownSlow with restricted air. The Combo also works well for Hot Grilling with good airflow.
Our pure Aussie Charcoals add good flavour to foods, not like the cheap smelly Indonesian Mangrove charcoal that is flooding the market as it can taint meats.
The ashless Red Gum is perfect for the new Heston's Everdure Fusion Charcoal BBQ as no mess to clean up. Customer Mark E. tested it in his patio Heston's Everdure Fusion BBQ and loved it: "Just fill it with the ashless Murrumbidgee River Red Gum Charcoal, push the electric Starter Fan button and let it go. It worked a charm, the heat spread very fast". Youtube demo of starting the Heston's BBQ
Standard Heat Beads need to get white hot and ashed over till they are safe to cook on... how do you then add more later? Lump Charcoal is pure and can be safely used for top ups! Briquettes and Beads are usually formed from low quality Brown Coal cooked into Char, Corn Starch binder and Sodium Nitrate accelerant...nasty. Since Brown Coal doesn't get hot, Heat Beads add sand for heat, hence the sandy ash mess. Is a Sodium Nitrate Heat Bead Snake sequentially igniting under your meat all night, safe?
HOW TO START CHARCOAL IN 1-2 MINS WITHOUT A CHARCOAL
CHIMNEY, FIRESTARTERS, LIGHTER FLUID, ETC:
Pile a mound of pure chemical free Lump Charcoal against one wall of a charcoal BBQ, touch the base with the tip of our new FIRE ROD electric charcoal starter, when red flames start after 30 secs, back up 6-8 inches until they are well lit. Focus on air blasting 1 red spot into the pile.
Then place a Smoker Wood
Chunk on each side against the flaming coals, but blow out and
move them if they catch fire as no smoke in fire. If the Chunks catch fire when
lid opened for turning meat, close lid and shut vents for 30 secs, then smoking
resumes. Easy eh?
Don't spread coals out flat as that's how you put them out, they need to be clumped together.
After adding more Lump Charcoal on top later, blow it alight quickly with the FIRE ROD, like the bellows of a Blacksmith forge.
We got our Weber to 513C on IRONBARK Charcoal, for quick pizzas:-
HOW TO EASILY OPEN A PLASTIC WOVEN CHARCOAL BAG WITHOUT FRAYING:-