JAMAICAN JERK RUB 250g resealable Bag. Great on Chicken Maryland but also tasty on Brisket, Pork & Fish. This is a Med Heat Family Friendly Rub. It makes a great Bark on Beef Brisket, just shake on generously, then Smoke it.
During the time of slavery in the Caribbean Islands, a group escaped from Jamaica into the mountains. They hunted wild game and learned to blend many local spices and herbs to marinate and cook their meats over the campfire. They jerked the meat by slashing it to allow the spices in, to infuse maximum flavour. This led to the invention of Jamaican Jerk meats.
Over the years the cooking method evolved into a moist brined Chicken Maryland (leg & thigh) version that is now the accepted Jerk Chicken method, although Spatchcock or Butterfly chicken also works well. This traditional Jerk flavour comes from Scotch Bonnet Chili Peppers, Ginger, Garlic, Cinnamon, Pimento Allspice powder and Pimento wood smoke. Aus air dried local Apple wood is a good substitute for Jamaican Pimento wood. There are 2 Methods below, the Quick Way and the 4hr or Overnight Technique.
QUICK: DRY JERK METHOD:
1) Cut deep slices
across the skin side of the thigh and cut one along the drumstick. This allows
the flavours to get deep inside meats.
2) Brush meat all over with 50/50 mix of Soy & Worcestershire Sauce.
3) Cover both sides of the meat in JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN RUB and in the cuts so the flavour deeply penetrates to infuse maximum flavour.
4) BBQ Smoke or Grill the Chicken on med/high heat.
5) When half cooked, brush with the Soy/Worcestshire sauce and shake more Rub on.
6) Take out when meat internal temp reaches 75C/165F.
7) Serve on a plate next to a large dab of Smokey BBQ Sauce.
SIMPLE METHOD FOR JUICY JERK CHICKEN BREASTS:
- Remove skin.
- Brine/submerge Breasts in 1 part MOIST MEAT BOMB to 6 parts water overnight. Brining in a bag uses less liquid.
- Cover generously all over in JAMAICAN JERK RUB.
- Smoke, Bake or Grill at high temp till 75C internal.
4 HOUR: FULL FLAVOURED MOIST WET JERK METHOD for 6 Chicken Maryland pieces.
1) Prepare & Mix Brine liquid in
- 2/3 cup MOIST MEAT BOMB
- 1/3 cup JAMAICAN CHICKEN JERK RUB
- 1 cup APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- 1/4 cup light SOY SAUCE
- 1/4 cup WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE (remove drip nozzle cap)
- 1/4 cup BROWN SUGAR
- 4 cups Water.
2) Cut deep slices across
the skin side of the thigh and cut one along the drumstick. This allows the
Brine liquid, and later the Jerk seasoning, to get deep inside the meat.
3) Submerge the slashed Chicken Maryland pieces in the Brine for 4hrs or for more absorption of flavours brine overnight in fridge.
To use less Marinade, use a large plastic bag, squeeze out air and support it in a bucket. You can mix and massage the marinade into the meat through the bag.
4) Take out of Brine and cover both sides of the meat in JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN RUB and push in the cuts.
5) BBQ Smoke or Grill the Chicken on med high heat, turning over a few times, till internal meat temp reaches 75C/165F.
Blackened skin is a trademark of Jerk Chicken.
6) Serve on a plate next to a large dab of Smokey BBQ Sauce.
Whole chicken using Wet Jerk Method